The weekend has arrived and thus the baking begins. Thanks to the Food Network Magazine March 2010 (Volume 3, Number2) issue, I made lemon bars. Tasty! This recipe has things like white sugar, white flour and other items on the naughty food list. That is why this is weekend food only.
So I made lemon bars for a Christmas Party and unfortunately, I do not have a picture of the finished product. The bars went like hot cakes... or rather like lemon bars.
I do, however, have many fun filled photos of the process along the way.
1 1/2 Sticks of cold butter diced
2 Cups all purpose flour
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup Confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease a 9 x 13 pan with oil. Line the pan with foil and grease the foil.
3. Pulse butter, flour, both sugars and salt in the food processor until the dough comes together. About 1 minute.
4. Press evenly into the bottom and up a 1/2 inch on the sides of the pan.
5. Bake until crust is golden for 25 minutes.
4 Large eggs and 2 Egg yolks
2 Cups granulated sugar
1/3 Cup all purpose flour
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 Cup fresh lemon juice (about 8 lemons)
1. While the crust is baking, whisk the eggs, yolks, sugar and flour in a bowl.
2. Whisk in the juice and zest.
3. Remove the crust from oven and reduce temperature to 300 degrees
4. Pour filling over the warm crust and return to the oven.
5. Bake until filling sets, about 30 minutes
6. Let bars cool in the pan and then in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
7. Sprinkle powered sugar over top
8. Lift out foil and cut into bars
Yeah weekend treats!