Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Granola in the morning




Many years ago, I was given a fabulous cookbook called More with Less. I have used it time and again, but the first recipe I began using regularly was one for granola. Since the time of the first granola experiment, I have made adjustments, changes and a few alterations. And as such, I now have a granola that meets the needs of our family. This is the recipe that I make once a week. It goes great with Greek yogurt and a cup of berries.

Ingredients:
- 4C of oats (old fashioned)
-1C ground almonds
-1C shredded coconut
- 1/2C sesame seeds
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin pie seasoning
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 C agave nectar
- 1/3C oil
-1 T vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. First, I ground the almonds using my grinder.
2. Add the oats, coconut, sesame seeds, salt, pie seasoning and cinnamon. Mix well.
3. Mix together, the agave nectar, oil and vanilla.
4. Pour into the oat mixture and mix.
5. Pour onto a baking sheet and put in oven.
6. Bake for 11 minutes. Stir and put back in the oven.
7. Bake another 11 minutes. Add 5 minutes if you want it really crunchy.
8. Let cool, break up and put in airtight container.

Note: We use agave nectar as a way of cutting down on sugar. Feel free to use honey if that is what you like. Also, use whatever pie spice you like, I started out with Apple pie spice and moved onto to pumpkin because it was what I had one day. Lastly, use whatever kind of oil you have. I sometimes use coconut or grapeseed for fun. Feel free to add dried fruit when you add the spices. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment