Monday, April 11, 2011

Add a little pesto


I was in the mood for homemade biscuits. Here is where it gets fun. I do not like to make biscuits. I do not have a biscuit cutter, when I have used a water glass to cut them out, they stick. I have to pull out the biscuit from the water glass only to find it mangled and abused. Biscuits and me are not always friends.

Luckily, I have a mother who did not like to make biscuits either. She liked to make something called "drop biscuits." Many of you might know what this is, basically it is biscuit dough, scooped up and dropped out onto a baking sheet. They are messy and irregular and tasty!

The drop biscuits were missing something. I decided whatever they were missing I was going to fill it with pesto. Thus, my version of pesto biscuits were formed.

Biscuits:
Ingredients:
* 1 2/3 C whole wheat pastry flour
* 1 T baking powder
* 1/2 tsp garlic salt
*2/3 C Milk
*1/3 C oil

This is adapted from the Joy of Cooking Cookbook. My variations are garlic salt, fat free milk and olive or grapeseed oil. Mix all ingredients together. Scoop one cookie scoop of dough onto the baking sheet. Add 1 T of pesto and scoop another scoop of dough on top. Bake at 475 degrees for 8 minutes.

Pesto:
Ingredients:
* 2 C basil leaves (packed)
* 1/3 C raw cashews (pine nuts are too expensive for me)
* 3 peeled cloves of garlic
* 1/3 C parmesan cheese
*1/3 C olive oil

Mix the first four ingredients in a food processor. While the machine is running, add the oil. Or if you are afraid of flying food, throw all the ingredients in together and process until smooth.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment