Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Always look on the bright side of food


Life is full of tradeoffs. If you want the rainbow, you have to put up with the rain. California has many trade offs. While I am not wild about a 9.6% sales tax, I do so love being able to go the farmers market in January. The silver linings of life can be quite tasty sometimes.

Yesterday, like a I do every Tuesday afternoon, I hopped on the number 1 Culver City bus. Headed down Washington and got off at the Culver City farmer's market. I snagged all kinds of goodies, including some fun olive bread.

Then promptly came home to make roasted chicken with oranges and red onion. I cleaned out the chicken and dried it. Next, I zested one orange and mixed it with a tablespoon of minced garlic and a teaspoon of salt. Then I sliced the orange and one red onion. I also took two stalks of celery and cut them in half.

I salted the cavity of the chicken. Then, I rubbed the zest mixture under the skin over the meat of the breast and legs. Next, I rubbed canola oil over the skin of the chicken and filled the cavity with the onion and orange slices and the celery pieces.

Lastly, I placed it in a baking dish and roasted it for 62 minutes at 400 degrees. Or until the thermometer read 170 degrees.

Unfortunately, I only have before pictures. Once again, I was so busy getting ready to eat it, I have no final picture. Sorry folks! But I have it on good authority (dear husband and self) that it is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment